The thesis is an independent investigation of specialized areas within the general field of materials science and engineering and associated disciplines. The M.Sc. degree gives candidates the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in the broad field of MSEN and contribute to the process of discovery and knowledge creation through the conduct of original research.
Candidates for this degree are taught and supervised by experienced faculty and are expected to demonstrate initiative in their approach and innovation in their work. In addition to successfully completing the taught course component of the program, candidates prepare and present a thesis on their chosen area. Research may be undertaken in several topics corresponding to the areas of focus identified by the University.
The Materials Science and Engineering MSc program offered at Khalifa University aims to produce graduate students with the disciplinary preparation that meets the following goals:
- An ability to identify and address current and future needs in various aspects of materials and devices (both active and passive) for all sorts of applications towards a sustainable and improved human well-being.
- An ability to apply a multi-disciplinary approach to conceive, plan, design, and implement innovations and solutions to problems and challenges that involve materials and their properties and applications.
- An understanding of the potential impact of materials based technologies and innovations on the social, economic, environmental aspects.
- An understanding of the value of intellectual approach, technical scholarship, service to society, leadership, best practice, and life-long learning.
- Structure and Properties of Polymers
- Materials Processing and Manufacturing Technologies
- Photovoltaic Technologies: Materials, Devices and Systems
- Crystallography and Diffraction
- Electrical, Optical and Magnetic Properties of Amorphous Materials
- Selected Topics in MSEN
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Electrical Engineering Physics View 10 other Masters in Electrical Engineering in United Arab Emirates
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0, or equivalent (e.g. an upper second-class honors in a UK-style degree, from a reputable accredited institution)
- A minimum level of English proficiency
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. Applicants for all programs should attempt all three sections of the GRE.
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form)
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words)
- Admission interview
International20052 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1114 EUR per credit during 24 months.
National20052 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1114 EUR per credit during 24 months.
- AED 5,000 per credit hour
Living costs for Abu Dhabi
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.