The purpose of the Master in Public Health at University of Johannesburg is to qualify health professionals who at the end of the programme will have been empowered to analyse, strategise and offer solutions to challenges faced by Sub-Saharan countries including South Africa with respects to Environmental and Occupational threats and risks.
On completion of this programme students will be able to:
- Contextualise Public Health within the region and relevant countries’ health systems, with specific focus on environmental and occupational health.
- Conduct health risk assessments and to enumerate, understand, mitigate and manage these risks.
- Develop relevant epidemiology and research methodologies for local, regional environmental and occupational health risks.
- Unpack environmental and occupational disasters that have local and regional relevance as learning opportunities in primary, secondary and tertiary prevention situations.
- Take strategic decisions within the context of environmental and occupational health domains.
- Principle and Practice of Environmental Health
- Environmental Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Research Methodologies
- Health Promotion and Health Behaviour
- Environmental Health Risk and Impact Assessment
- Emerging National and Continental Environmental Health Challenges
- African Health System, Health and Environmental Politics and Management
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 4 other Masters in Health Sciences in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Johannesburg and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A Health-related qualification at NQF Level 8 such as Environmental Health, Public Health, MbChB, Social Work, Physiotherapy, Nursing, or other related equivalent qualification. Non-South African students need to apply to SAQA for verification of the equivalence of the entry qualification; AND
- An average of 65% for the NQF Level 8 qualification;
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in the field of Public Health, Environmental Health, and/or Occupational Health and Safety, of which three years must be in a Management position.
International2442 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2442 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2442 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2442 EUR per year during 24 months.
Total tuition fees: ± R40 880
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.