- Are you a deep thinker?
- Know your Aristotlian metaphysics from your Darwinian evolution?
- Want to have the opportunity to analyse Man’s ideas on creation?
- Would you like the opportunity to work with a well-renowned scholar from the comfort of your own home?
Try the Warnborough College MA in the History of Ideas – possibly the best idea you ever had!
The themes in the modules listed below include important milestones in the history of ideas. Thus, the impact of Darwin’s theories on biology has been compared to that of Newton on physics. Although Darwinism affected many different fields and disciplines, it should also be remembered that, when extrapolated to human society, it unfortunately gave us Social Darwinism, which, naturally, raises a whole host of moral and ethical issues. Darwin himself, for example, had a very low opinion of women’s intellectual abilities. Fortunately, one of the most positive developments of the last century has been the belated recognition of women’s rights and, in recent times, of their intellectual excellence.
Are myths and fables simply attempts by pre-industrial societies to explain cosmic reality or do they have a deeper significance?
Whether the Genesis account of creation should be interpreted literally or symbolically is a controversial question which still seems to generate more heat than light. Historically, a symbolic interpretation helped to remove the Catholic Church’s objections to accepting the concept of biological evolution.
However, evolution was not, originally, a biological concept and one wonders whether it can be applied to human history. Is the latter characterized by cyclical patterns and/or a linear progression (even if punctuated by temporary regressions)?
Who should do this?Graduates who are motivated to learn on their own, especially those seeking to enter professional academia or those with a real passion for intellectual history. Even if you do not have plans to move into the academic field, with a real interest in the subject matter you could make the perfect student!
This course really creates deep thinkers. Once you have completed the MA in the History of Ideas, your analytical skills will be much more adept and you will be able to move into many fields, including: teaching (most likely at the college level), course development and curricula design, research, civil service, local government, charities, information technology, solicitor’s firms, publishing, journalism, and so forth.
- Science-Faith Issues
- A Symbolic Interpretation of Genesis
- Social Darwinism
- Women’s Rights
- Political Concepts
- Historical (Cyclical) Patterns
- Myths and Fables
- The History of Ideas in a Literary Context
- 16 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Start date: 1st of any month
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts View 27 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Candidates should possess at least a recognised undergraduate degree in the same or related discipline. We are willing to consider other criteria for admission on an individual basis.
- A full curriculum vitae/resumé.
- A brief autobiography.
- A brief research proposal, if you are choosing either research or projects options.
- Copies of all academic transcripts. Please include English translations if your transcripts are in another language.
- Two references. From employers, business partners, and/or academics.
- A scanned copy of your passport or government-issued ID showing your name, date of birth and photograph.
- Two passport-size photographs (if you are posting a paper application).
- Application fee of €100.
- All other relevant and related information or documentation (e.g. scholarship requests, etc.)
International7200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 EUR for the full programme during 16 months.
EU/EEA7200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 EUR for the full programme during 16 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.