Water is the source for any kind of life. Therefore its protection in quantity and quality is of primary importance for society. Human activities in water use and consumption require interventions and planning regarding balanced and optimized utilization of this limited resource, regulations on the provision of water and consideration of future demands. Critical developments can be caused by the growing global population and the related increase in water demand. Additional impacts are expected due to climate change with associated global warming and regional change of precipitation pattern.
The master program from BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences offers the choice of a specialization among the water management / engineering branch and mountain risk engineering.The former comprises the field of sanitary engineering, rural water management, hydrology and water management, hydraulic engineering, aquatic ecology, wetland management and waste management. The latter includes mountain hazard processes and related mitigation measures as well as an introduction to integral risk management. Additionally economy and law with some special focus on policies in developing countries are included in the program.
The aim of the curriculum is the education and training of engineering experts with excellent skills in technical planning and a solid understanding of environmental processes with consideration of the interaction between water, soil and atmosphere. The gained knowledge will enable the graduates to develop and enhance the social and environmental well-being of human society by means of sound and sustainable technologies in the water sector.
As a graduate of the international master program “Water Management and Environmental Engineering” students gain a wide range of technical, academic and interpersonal skills enabling them to obtain top professional positions at the national and international level.
The possibilities for employment are manifold in the fields of
- private enterprises like planning bureaus, civil engineers and consultancies,
- in public services like research institutions and water management boards,
- in public administration like environmental ministries and local governments,
- in non governmental organizations (NGO) and development cooperations and
- in international environmental agencies e.g. EU.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Lecture series in soil, water and atmosphere
- Environmental statistics
- Operations research and system analysis
- International law and cooperation development
- Remote sensing and GIS in natural resource management
- Planning and design / conceptual design
- Structural exercises
- Structural exercises
- On site solutions for water supply and sanitation
- Planning and design in water supply and wastewater treatment
- Case studies in sanitary engineering
- Modelling in sanitary engineering (sewer, treatment plant and receiver)
- Industrial water management
- Water resources management in developing cooperation
- Biology, chemistry and microbiology for civil engineering
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Hydrology & Water Management
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Admission into Master programmes is conditional on the successful completion of a relevant Bachelor's programme or other equivalent degree programme at a recognized Austrian or foreign post-secondary institution.
Please include the following original (or certified copies) documents with your application:
Additional, copies of the required documents need to be submitted.
- Completed Applicationform
- evidence of previous studies (bachelor degree, diploma)
- transcript stating subjects, marks, ECTS and contens of teaching
- Evidence of adequate proficiency of English (for English-language Master programmes)
- evidence of adequate proficiency in German A2 or C1
International1454 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 727 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 363 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.