The MA English at the University of Basel researches and teaches in the two academic sub-areas of literature and linguistics.
English-language literary studies pursues a cultural studies and interdisciplinary approach and considers Anglophone literature in the context of mentality and cultural-historical development processes as well as in connection with other media. The focus of anglophone literary and cultural studies in Basel is:
- English and Irish literature and culture since the Renaissance, particularly in the areas of Shakespearean drama, literature and memory, and literature and space / cultural topographies;
- American literature from the 18th to the 20th centuries;
- Postcolonial Literature and Theory;
- Literature, culture and media theory as well as aesthetics.
The linguistics of English examines the meaning and functioning of the English language in everyday life, culture and science, in private and public spaces, in the present and in the past. The focus is on:
- Cognitive linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially language acquisition;
- Sociolinguistics and discourse analysis of English.
At the master's level, students expand the knowledge they have acquired in their bachelor's degree, with a focus either on English linguistics or in anglophone literary and cultural studies, which is then deepened in the research-oriented part.
Lessons are mainly held in English.
The study of English linguistics, literature and cultural studies offers a wide variety of career prospects. One of the most popular is the teaching profession.
English lessons are in demand at all school levels as well as in adult education. In addition, the language and text skills acquired during the course enable you to work in numerous communication professions such as non-profit and cultural organizations, in the diplomatic service, in marketing and PR departments, in publishing, in information and communications Documentation services and in journalism. The profession of translator also offers the possibility of employment. It is advisable to explore possible occupational fields during your studies and to complete appropriate internships or volunteers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced English Linguistics
- Advanced Anglophone Literary and Cultural Studies
- English Linguistics
- Anglophone Literary and Cultural Studies
- Research in English Linguistics
- Research in Anglophone Literary and Cultural Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 4 other Masters in Literature in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission without conditions with a bachelor's degree in English from the University of Basel or equivalent academic achievements in the field of English linguistics and literature at a university recognized by the University of Basel.
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 769 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 769 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.