The future of biology is bioinformatics - computational analysis procedures that leverage state-of-the-art statistics and machine learning to gain insight into systems of exquisite complexity. We have entered an era of unprecedented expansion in the biological sciences, and our data now grows exponentially faster than Moore's law.
This course is composed of five taught modules, one group project, and one independent project. The taught modules provide you with foundational knowledge and skills in statistics, computer programming, and molecular biology, and then exploit this skillset to help you to understand and participate in the ongoing revolution in biological data science.
The Bioinformatics programme offered by the University of Birmingham begins with a fast-paced introduction to essential capabilities. Through individualized and student-centered teaching, as well as heterogeneous group work, it will prepare wet-bench biologists and clinicians interested in data analysis, as well as statisticians or computer scientists wishing to work in biology for studies in modern bioinformatics.Why study this course?
- Learn how to analyse each major omics data-type – beyond next generation sequencing, understand mass spectrometry, emerging single molecule techniques, genome engineering, and integrative analysis toolsets that reveal synergies between these and other distinct modalities such as Health Partners
- Gain a foundation in statistical machine learning to prepare for a career in the information sciences
- Explore the frontiers of biosciences, from precision medicine, to precision agriculture, and emerging fields including molecular ecosystems biology and topological data analysis.
- Expand our foundational understanding of human genome biology working with experts in the West Midlands Genomic Medicine Centre: University Hospital Birmingham is a major contributor to the 100,000 Genomes Project, which is closely integrated with this MSc in Bioinformatics
- Discover new opportunities in one of the fastest growing industrial and academic fields in the United Kingdom and beyond.
We recognise that as a postgraduate student you are likely to have specific requirements when it comes to planning for your next career step. Employers expect postgraduates to have a range of skills that exceed their subject knowledge. Careers Network offers a range of events and support services that are designed for all students, including postgraduates looking to find their niche in the job market.
The Careers Network also have subject specific careers consultants and advisers for each College so you can be assured the information you receive will be relevant to your subject area.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Essentials of Biology, Mathematics and Statistics
- Genomics & Next Generation Sequencing
- Data Analytics & Statistical Machine Learning
- Metabolomics and advanced (omics) technologies
- Computational Biology for Complex Systems
- Interdisciplinary Bioinformatics Group Project
- Individual Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiomedicine Informatics & Information Sciences Bioinformatics View 228 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in United Kingdom
- 2:1 or equivalent in Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science or other relevant subjects
You can satisfy our English language requirements in two ways:
- by holding an English language qualification to the right level
- by taking and successfully completing one of our English courses for international students
International23310 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23310 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- As a UK resident you can apply for a government loan for postgraduate Masters study. This is a contribution towards the costs of study and whether the loan is used towards fees, maintenance or other costs will be at the discretion of the student
- The College of Medical and Dental Sciences is offering a number of Global Scholarships for Excellence for outstanding students on our postgraduate taught programmes. The value of each award is £2,000 to be off-set against tuition fees, is tenable for one year only and cannot be deferred to a later year
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.