The Master Programme in Early Modern History at Uppsala University will provide you with knowledge of, and insight into the Early Modern world.
In the late Medieval and Early Modern World there is much that is foreign to us; devastating witch crazes, judicial torture, spectacular manifestations of power and subordination, a massive expansion of slavery, ubiquitous religious fervour, war, riots and revolution. At the same time, this period experienced phenomena that helped form the basis of modern history; emerging bureaucratic states organised around the ability to tax citizens and wage war, new consumption patterns, intercontinental trader, and the large scale movement of people around the globe.
Graduates with a Master's degree in history will be employable in a wide variety of occupations. It provides you with a good basis for advanced positions in secondary and higher education, civil service at local, regional and national levels, personnel management, journalism, international organisations, tourism, as well as in enhancing cultural heritage in its various manifestations including archives, museums and libraries. A Master's degree in history is a prerequisite for a successful career in historical research.
- Early Modern Studies
- Historical Theories
- Historical Methods
- War, Power, and Resistance
- Consumption and Material Culture
- Early Modern Gunpowder Empires in Global Perspective
- Survival. Strategies and Institutions
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 15 other Masters in History in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. The main field of study must be within the humanities or social sciences.
- All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden ("English 6").
- Students are selected based on a total appraisal of quantity and quality of previous university studies.
International9526 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19053 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 50,000
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 200,000
Living costs for Uppsala
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.