In this program, you will undertake an in-depth examination of the conceptual and philosophical underpinnings of community engagement, as well as learn about research and engagement methodologies. You will also gain practical experience working with community, as you complete your own thesis research project with the support and guidance of academic experts.
The Master of Arts in Community Engagement (MACE) at the University of Alberta includes three core courses (MACE 501, MACE 502, and MACE 503), three graduate-level electives, a community experience practicum, and a written thesis based on the student’s original research project.
Electives may be taken through any faculty; one of the electives must be a graduate-level course in research methods. Some potential electives are listed in our Student Handbook. For additional graduate level courses, consult the University of Alberta calendar, but discuss course selection with your advisor/supervisor prior to enrolment to be sure it aligns with your program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Practice of Community-Engaged Scholarship
- Theoretical Foundations of the Scholarship of Engagement
- Methods of Community-Based Research
- Graduate-level Community Service Learning experience/Course
- Engaging Communities in Social Entrepreneurship
- Public Engagement, Governance and Policy Adaptation
- City-Building and Community Engagement Series
- Agroecology in Cuba
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Online application system opens to new applications on October 1.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Public Policy Ecology View 10 other Masters in Ecology in Canada
- Four-year degree from a recognized university.
- Grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (or equivalent) on a 4-point scale.
- Where applicable, demonstrated English language proficiency
International9465 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9465 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5645 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5645 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.