Master's Degrees in Fine Arts at Emily Carr University of Art + Design
- Offered through two delivery platforms — as a two-year full-residency program, or a three-year low-residency model — the MFA provides a rigorous and innovative approach to contemporary art production, supporting students who are interested in a single field of specialization, or intent on a more interdisciplinary practice.
- Through a predominantly critique-based environment, with emphasis on public engagement and exhibition, you will be encouraged to take risks, to challenge, and to grow your established material processes and critical perspectives. A host of technological resources, integrated studios, labs and workshops are available to facilitate this by encouraging material exploration and play.
- Graduate students work closely with a diverse range of faculty affiliated with Emily Carr University. Our approach to critical making actively integrates praxis with research, and is intended to expand theoretical and experimental frameworks. A series of lectures and studio visits from renowned visiting artists and curators inform and supplement your practice, and deepen your professional development.
- Throughout the degree, you will participate in courses in research, theory and studio practice, and develop a significant creative research or thesis project. Topics of inquiry are wide-reaching and generative and emerge from creative practice. Recent projects have responded to contemporary issues regarding the land, sustainability and social innovation, processes of decolonization, new materials and technologies, and perceptual processes.
- Advanced Studio
- Seminar in Research
- Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 81 other Masters in Visual Arts in Canada
- If you are applying to the Master of Fine Arts degrees you must hold a recognized four-year Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Media Arts, or Bachelor of Architecture degree.
- Applicants holding a Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field may apply. Applicants holding a three-year bachelor's degree may apply if it is equivalent to a four-year Canadian degree
- Your minimum grade point average must be 3.0 (B) or higher from an accredited university or institute.
International17220 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 574 CAD per credit during 24 months.
National15210 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 507 CAD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.