The Master Programme in Applied Biotechnology from Uppsala University gives you theoretical as well as hands-on knowledge in the areas of molecular biology, structural biology and biotechnology. You can also extend your studies in the areas of protein engineering, synthetic biology and molecular biotechnology for renewable energy.
Thanks to courses in project management, marketing and entrepreneurship, you will also gain insight into business management and learn how projects are planned and carried out in the biotechnology industry.
You will be well prepared to work with product development in a biotechnology company or with research and development at an academic department in Sweden or abroad. You will also have an excellent basis for pursuing academic research through PhD studies. Alternatively, you can find work in the areas of project management, marketing or quality control.
Depending on your courses taken during the second year, you may work with research and development in, for example: protein-based pharmaceuticals, method development, diagnostic tools, or with biomaterials in various biotechnical fields.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Trends in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- Biotechnology Project
- Synthetic Biology
- Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- Biotechnology Project
- Degree Project D in Applied Biotechnology
- Protein Engineering
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology General Engineering & Technology View 16 other Masters in Biotechnology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A Bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. The main field of study must be molecular biology, biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biotechnology, chemistry, medical technology/informatics, pharmacy or biophysics.
Also required is:
- knowledge and practical experience of laboratory experiments in biology, and molecular biology
- knowledge and practical experience of laboratory experiments in chemistry
- knowledge of mathematics: algebra and analysis corresponding to approximately 10 weeks of full-time studies
- and knowledge of computer science: good proficiency in use of computer software for word and simple calculations.
International13813 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27627 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 72,500
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 290,000
Living costs for Uppsala
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.