The European Master in Disaster Medicine (EMDM) at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is dedicated to improve the competence in disaster medicine and the disaster medical competencies for health professionals in order to form high-level professionals qualified to work as academics, staff members or field workers for international, governmental, and non-governmental organizations.
Intense international cooperation and support
The European Master in Disaster Management is organized in cooperation with the Università del Piemonte Orientale (Novara, Italy). Co-organizing insititutions are the Katastrofmedicinskt Centrum (Linköping, Sweden), University of Calfornia (Irvine, US) and the Université de Genève et Hôpitaux Univeritaires de Genève (Switzerland).
The EMDM is supported by international organizations and scientific societies with interest in disaster medicine and humanitarian health: the World Health Organization, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières and the European Society for Emergency Medicine.
The European Master in Disaster Management consists of a one-year e-learning course, a two-week residential course in Novara (Italy) and a final online examination. The writing and defense of a Master's thesis based on a research study, concludes the programme.
As a graduate of the Master in Disaster Medicine you can be assigned to following positions:Advisor and/or manager of disaster medical management in local, regional and federal administrationsOfficer responsible for the hospital disaster managementAdvisor and/or manager of disaster medical management in international organizations (UN, WHO, OCHA.)Executive officer in non-governmental organizations responsible for disaster medical managementResponsible staff member for education in disaster medicine in medical schoolsResearcher in the medical aspects of disasters in academic centres
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The learning outcomes of this master are:
- to assess the epidemiological and health risks in disaster situations
- to participate in the medical preparedness and planning for disasters
- to direct the medical response in disaster situations
- to master the medical managerial and care aspects of specific disasters
- to organize and manage the psychological support of disaster victims and rescuers
- to organize and manage evaluation and debriefing sessions
- to organize education and training in disaster medicine and disaster medical management
- to master the medical managerial aspects in complex humanitarian emergencies
- to understand the legal and ethical aspects in disaster management and
- to supervise, develop and conduct research on the medical aspects of disasters
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Health Sciences Emergency & Disaster Management View 4 other Masters in Emergency & Disaster Management in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The minimum admission requirement is a degree in medicine (at least 300 ECTS), or a Bachelor’s + Master’s Degree in a health-related subject (equivalent to at least 300 ECTS) from any University across the world. Applications from students holding a Master’s Degree in different subjects will be evaluated case-by-case by the Strategic Management Board.
English Language Requirements:
- TOEFL iBT with minimum level: 79;
- IELTS with minimum level: academic module 6.5;
- ITACE with minimum level: B2;
- Cambridge English Qualification Scale with the following minimal level: 170
International8032 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8032 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8032 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8032 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.