The thesis option is designed for individuals planning careers as experimental biologists, including those who may wish to pursue a Ph.D. This option is available on a competitive basis. Students choosing the thesis option must complete 36 credit hours with grade point average of not less than 2.5 (75%). Students must also prepare a written thesis based on research carried out by the student and under the supervision of at least one supervisor.
The non-thesis option is intended as a degree to meet the needs of teachers, science administrators, policy makers in the biology, and others. Students who elect the non-thesis option must complete at least a total 36 credit hours with grade point average of not less than 2.5 (75%). In addition, the students must pass the written M.S. comprehensive examination in biostatistics, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular genetics, animal physiology, ecology, research methodology, and cell biology.
Teaching and Learning
The following methods of teaching and learning are applied in the Life Sciences program of the An-Najah National University:
- Lectures: all of the lectures are presented by at least Ph.D. professionals in their specialization fields. Most of the lectures are presented by powerpoint software.
- Preparing for teaching: In order to evaluate understanding of the studied subject and ability to teach the subject, each student is asked to make a presentation in the field of the course before the teaching doctor and his colleagues.
- Moodel software: some of the courses of the master of biology are also presented in the moodel software of the university.
- Assigning homework (e.g., low stakes responses to the readings turned in on notecards or electronically).
- Giving quizzes covering major points in the reading that could be turned in before class.
Although there are common career opportunities for all graduates with master of biology, the career opportunities also depend on the thesis of the master and associated learned skills. In addition, career opportunities are also influenced by the undergraduate specialization, which will be developed by attending master of biology program. Examples of the career opportunities of master of biology:
- Teaching: Many persons that attended the program of master of biology are now teaching in schools. In addition, graduate can also teach in universities. The higher level of education of graduates of master of biology makes them candidates to become supervisors of school educations.
- Laboratory technician: the background of graduates of master of biology makes them able to perform wide varieties of laboratory works. For example, graduate can work as laboratory technician and prepare for laboratory sessions in the university laboratories.
- Research assistants: The graduate can work in research centers in universities or other centers. This is especially true for students that attend the thesis type of the master.
- Food factories: graduates can also work in food factories as laboratory technicians.
- Pharmaceutical industry: graduates are capable of working as either laboratory technicians or marketing personnel.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Animal & human health
- Molecular Genetics
- Animal Physiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 3 other Masters in Biochemistry in Palestinian Territory, Occupied
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Prospective applicant should have a Bachelor degree from An-Najah National University or its equivalent from a Faculty or university credited by An-Najah National University.
- A Placement Test for the major he/she is applying to.
- Prospective applicant should be willing to meet with the Supervising Committee for a personal interview if the Specialised Department Council recommends that.
- Earning a competitive GPA, is a matter usually determined and computed by the Specialized Department by the following formula: An applicant’s Bachelor’s GPA counts 70% and the applicant’s results on the Skills / Placement Exam and personal interview counts 30%.
- An original or official transcript or copy of certified from both the university from which the applicant graduated and the Palestinian ministry of higher learning.
- A certificate of work experience, if available.
- Two recommendation Letters from faculty members or professionals.
- Personal photo.
Living costs for Nablus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.