One of the few United States-focused courses in the UK, the United States Politics course offered by the University of Essex allows you gain in-depth knowledge of the workings of the US political system—what makes it unique, how it has evolved, and how it is changing. You receive a thorough training in the theories and methods needed to conduct your own research into United States politics – culminating in your dissertation on a topic that fascinates you and enhances your career. Your research skills will be in demand by a wide range of employers, including government, international organisations, policy analysis and market research. The course also prepares students for doctoral study.
All Essex politics graduates have the distinction of a qualification from one of the world’s leading politics departments.
This course can lead you to a career in a number of areas such as public policy and international affairs -- including government agencies and international NGOs -- journalism and the media, and many private sector areas such as market research, consulting and international business. You’ll develop key employability skills including analytical reasoning, quantitative data analysis methods, research design and professional writing.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for the following high-profile organisations:
- The Civil Service
- The World Bank
- The United Nations
- YouGov and YouGov America
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory and Explanation in Political Science
- United States Politics
- MA Dissertation
- The Analysis of Conflict and Peace
- International Security Studies
- International Negotiation
- Political Parties in Britain and Europe
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesHistory American Studies Political Science View 26 other Masters in American Studies in United Kingdom
- A degree with an overall high 2.2 in Political Science, International Relations, American Studies, United states Politics, Business - ( finance related), Economics or Statistics.
- Applications from students with a 2:2 or equivalent will be considered dependent on any relevant professional or voluntary experience, previous modules studied and/or personal statement.
- We will accept applicants with a degree in an unrelated field but you must have studied at least two relevant modules with marks of at least 58% in the final two years of study
International17900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8340 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU fee: £8,340
- International fee: £17,900
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.