The Web Design and Development course at Birkbeck, University of London covers coding, user-centred planning and design, the optimisation and manipulation of images and the delivery of a final published project.
The programme offers practical workshops taught by commercial developers and users, encouraging you to work creatively within an online culture. By the time you start the final module, you will have acquired the skills needed to design and produce a professional website that is both usable and accessible, and that conforms to international standards and guidelines.
Sessions focus on learning the skills to evaluate, design, develop and maintain personal or business digital projects. You will gain an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the medium and will use internet tools to create web-based portfolios and projects.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- On successful completion of the programme, you can progress to the MA Digital Media Design.
- You will develop a thorough understanding of the practical and theoretical skills needed to plan and implement websites, and can focus on a project which is either work-based or personal.
- Targeted at people working in the public and private sectors, training, education, human resources, publishing, marketing, start-up and those with a personal interest in digital.
- Delivered by industry practitioners from academic and commercial backgrounds.
Careers and Employability
Graduates have used the course to change direction into areas of growing demand in digital or to add value to their existing skills, taking on additional responsibilities at work.
Organisations look for individuals who have evidence of digital skills, understand the context of web design and development, and have a record of personal and professional development.
As such, the broad scope and context of the course and its focus on standards offer opportunities to break into both the digital industry and organisations that seek to take advantage of digital.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Visual Design and Web Project
- Web Development and User Experience
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesDesign User Experience Design Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 406 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You will be expected to be a graduate with IT skills and at least one year's experience in training, education, human resources, publishing, marketing or associated media development.
- Non-graduates with at least three years' experience and IT skills are also welcome to apply.
- Students should submit a detailed application with evidence of their level, demonstrated by existing work they have completed on the web, if requested.
- Upon review of the application and the submitted admissions exercise, admissions tutors will invite successful candidates to attend an interview.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5075 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5075 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.