Biomedical Engineering at University of Oulu is a unique, multidisciplinary Master's programme focusing on biomechanics, medical imaging and measurement, digital signal and image analysis, machine learning, big data analytics and healthcare informatics.
The latest methods, tools and technologies combined with issues such as:
Anatomy and physiology
Biomechanics and biomaterials
Medical physics and imaging
Biomedical signal and image processing
Machine learning and big data
Artificial intelligence (AI) in medicine
Information systems and mobile applications in health care
Health technology applications.
The programme is highly focused on experimentation, practical work and problem-based learning in its studies and research. In addition to theoretical knowledge, the programme is based on applied research and real-world problems and solutions, which is strengthened by its close links to industry.
The programme is inherently multidisciplinary as it combines the technological and medical expertise of two different faculties, the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Medicine.
The study environment is multinational and multilingual, as roughly half of the teaching staff and a significant number of students come from outside of Finland.
Occupational profiles of the graduates
- Developing and testing products in the industry as well as marketing and post-marketing support and managerial tasks.
- Research, education, and specialist duties in academia and research institutes.
- Consulting on the use and procurement of products, evaluation of performance, maintenance, customization of appliances to clinical and research needs in health care units.
- Public official tasks related to the quality control, and management, and establishment of safety standards.
- Doctoral degree.
- Biosignal Processing
- Basics in eHealth
- Anatomy and Physiology for Biomedical Engineering
- Advanced practical training
- Biomedical Engineering Project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Machine Learning View 11 other Masters in Machine Learning in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education. As a rule, the Bachelor’s degree is the lower academic degree. This degree should be equivalent of at least three years of full-time studies (180 ECTS).
International10000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Oulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.