Students will develop a deep understanding of critical and experimental communication/media production, creation and design practices, and through applied innovation will address current and future contexts.
The Programme prepares students to evolve and lead new approaches to media and storytelling through predictive innovation, enabled by rapidly changing cultural and industrial practices and digital technologies.
Centring on the interrelated domains of broadcasting, film and experience/brand, the Programme addresses knowledge and skills gaps in four key areas of practice: production, direction, content development/making/writing, and communication/digital media design.
The Programme offers:
- subject contextualisation, looking at new imperatives and multiple media forms for storytelling in an age of alternative facts and fictions
- Grounding in traditional skill sets involving narration, script writing, production design, direction, casting, photography, filming, lighting and sound recording
- Training in coding and programming, interactive design, AI, cross-platform and cross-media integration (e.g. transmedia), visual design,, virtual/augmented reality and social media
- Real-world contextualisation and information through visiting and guest lecturers from key industries and practices
- Cross-School and College interdisciplinarity opportunities through joint projects and mixed environments alongside industry projects and visits to key practitioners
- Close links between MA, MPhil and PhD students, funded research and professional practitioners.
More informationVisit official programme website
The programme is guided by four main principles to support this aspiration:
- Architecture – holistic structure and scaffolding for developing critical and empathetic design sensibility with an emphasis on mobile, user-controlled and user-centred imperatives
- Assembly – defining knowledgeable agile and adaptable media professionals, exploring the cutting edges and outcomes of digital communication
- Amplification – understanding, navigating and utilising the Attention Economy to creative effective strategies to that deliver through the ‘noise’ and into strategic areas of social and political relevance
- Adventure – the origination of personalised, participative and immersive environments and content, putting the user/viewer/audience at the centre of the storytelling experience.
- 15 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Film, Photography & Media View 307 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- Students will normally have a BA, or an equivalent overseas qualification or sufficient work experience to demonstrate the appropriate intellectual, creative and personal qualities to engage with the demands of the programme.
- Students come from a wide range of backgrounds. While some will come directly from first-degree programmes in design and broadcasting, others may join the programme with professional experience in industry, or from backgrounds including television and film-making, experience design, graphic design, animation and interaction design.
- Digital Portfolio
- Interview (if invited)
International34000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34000 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14500 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
UK and EU students receive a subsidy from the British Government and pay a reduced fee. To qualify for the home or EU rate of tuition fees you will need to meet certain strict conditions related to your nationality, visa status and residency.
To find out more about how fee status is assessed, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.