The Advanced studies in design program at Monash University will inspire you to connect research and practice across the design disciplines, and to become a thoughtful design practitioner. You’ll broaden your knowledge of key design constructs, deepen your professional learning in design areas of interest, and advance your capacity as a design professional.
If you prefer a broadly applicable advanced design qualification you may choose, with the approval of your course coordinator, a selection of units from each level across the specialisation streams. This means you will refine your own studies by selecting from collaborative design, interaction design or multimedia design.
This enables you to tailor your unit choices while addressing the fundamental principles of advanced design practice and thinking. It will challenge you to connect research and practice across the design disciplines to become a highly thoughtful and engaged design practitioner.
Throughout your studies you will build your learning by broadening your knowledge of key design constructs, deepening your professional learning in design areas of interest, and advancing your capacity as a design professional. The final semester of study provides the opportunity for you to pursue a major self-initiated project, or extend your skills by participating in a leading industry project.
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will be able to:
- engage critically with design theory, concepts and methods
- understand the relationship of design to cultural, environmental, ethical, technological and professional contexts and practices
- apply design principles and advanced design skills to produce innovative ideas, concepts and solutions
- integrate specialised design research approaches in order to analyse, synthesise and evaluate diverse solutions for contemporary environments
- use technical and design methodologies to assess the needs, deliverables and constraints of complex projects
- draw on studio experience to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and communicate strategies and methodologies and apply them in the multiple fields of design practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design thinking approaches
- Design fundamental studio
- Design technologies and processes
- Introduction to art and design health and safety
- Interaction design
- Multimedia design
- Collaborative design
- 12 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesDesign View 78 other Masters in Design in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS code: 089737A
Entry Level 1
- Bachelor's degree in any field.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field OR
- Bachelor's degree in any field + relevant experience
- Bachelor's (Hons) degree in a related field OR
- Bachelor's (Hons) degree in any field + relevant experience
International36700 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36700 AUD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National32600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32600 AUD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.