The Linguistics programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt aims at qualifying students to give theoretically sound and empirically substantiated statements on various aspects of language and to apply their new knowledge and insights while carrying out an own piece of research.
To this end, the students extend their theoretical knowledge base and refine the techniques of language description and linguistic explanation. Particularly, students discuss current issues in linguistics as related to their chosen specialisations aiming at planning and carrying out independent research.
Students who have completed the Master course in Linguistics hold the qualification for an academic career and may start a PhD program in Linguistics or in a related discipline. Linguists may carry out research in many fields of the humanities, social and cognitive sciences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Phonological Theory and Evolution
- Trends in Phonology (Colloquium)
- Perspectives on the ordering of adjectives
- Gesture Semantics (NN)
- Variables and Parameters
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 44 other Masters in Languages in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics or a study programme from another higher education institution with similar content. The examination board decides whether the content corresponds or not. In cases of doubt, admission to the Master’s programme will depend on an entry examination that students have to pass.
- If the university entrance qualification for the consecutive Master’s programme (namely the Bachelor’s degree) has not yet been completed, you can apply for the programme with a transcript of records on the basis of at least 80% of the required CP for the bachelor's degree.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Semester fee: 369 EUR
Living costs for Frankfurt am Main
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.