MA/M.Mus in Composition
The Composition program of the Iceland University of the Arts puts emphasis on allowing the student to explore, enhance and develop her/his personal compositional approach.
In addition to the main subject the student can personalize the programme of study. Students can choose from different modules in musicology, music theory, electro-acoustics, instrumentation/orchestration, and interdisciplinary studies to support his/her area of interest. With the aim of developing the student’s professional skills, the student can also choose from modules in entrepreneurship and project management.
During the Composition programme at the Iceland Academy of the Arts, student’s compositions will be performed by professional performers and ensembles that specialize in contemporary music. Since 2015 Caput New Music Ensemble has been the ensemble in residence. The department also works with Ensemble Adapter, Siggi String Quartet, Hljómeyki and Spilmenn Ríkínís.
Through the International Exchange programme it is possible to study abroad for one or two semesters at the Academy’s partner institutions, consisting of approximately thirty universities and conservatories in Europe.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Aspects of Music Analysis
- Electronics & Sound Technology
- Research on Icelandic Music
- Music in Dialogue
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants will have completed a BA degree in composition or related fields of art and musical theory
- Those applicants that do not have a BA degree in composition can be admitted to the programme provided that they demonstrate a knowledge and technical ability of musical composition
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s) and programme / course transcript(s)
- Reference from one referee
- Letter of Motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Portfolio of works
- Students must be proficient in spoken and written English in the academic context
International5530 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2765 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5530 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2765 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- 445.578 ISK per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.