In the first two semesters, students will visit beginners’ or advanced language courses in Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Indonesian. Moreover, all students are required to jointly participate in a core program and in a variety of elective courses in which they learn to apply their methodological and theoretical knowledge and their language skills to social, legal and economic problems encountered in contemporary East Asia. In the third semester, the Modern East Asian Studies programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt offers three different tracks to choose from: 1) the Professional Track to reflect and extend the academic knowhow in an Asia related professional environment via internship; 2) the Language Track to refine one’s language skills in the respective Asian country; 3) the Research Track to concentrate on empirical research and to facilitate a subsequent Ph.D. study.
The MEAS program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Committee of Goethe University.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Institutions and Innovations
- State and Society
- Law in East Asia
- Transformations of China since 1800
- Political Ideologies in China's Reform Era
- Water in China's Domestic Politics and International Relations
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Political Science View 60 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences, political science, economics, business administration, law, history, anthropology or related areas, or a Bachelor’s Degree in cultural studies with focus on China, Japan, Korea or South East Asia.
- Comprehensive academic CV (in English).
- A convincing motivation letter (a formal letter addressed to Prof. Dr. Storz with a length of approximately one page in English), naming at least one university professor as a reference.
- Research proposal (800-2.000 words, excluding bibliography) on a topic related to the regions and disciplines covered by the MEAS program (in English).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester fee: 369.89 EUR
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.