Estonian Studies offered by Tallinn University enables you to get a broad-based and interdisciplinary postgraduate degree and offers the possibility to see both the uniqueness and specifics of Estonia, the place of Estonia in a global context.
Estonian Studies is in many respects the calling card of Estonian State and is aimed at everybody who is interested in various aspects of Estonia. Come and study with us!
The main target group are people who are interested in the Estonian language, culture, history and society but who do not have Estonian as their first language.
This study programme is suitable for you:
- if you have been learning the Estonian language and culture in one of the universities in the world that teach these subjects, you are interested in Estonian culture, history and society but your Estonian is not good enough to study in Estonian. Estonian Studies will help you to enhance your knowledge on Estonia and develop your language skills.
- if your BA is in any other field but you are interested in Estonia and you wish to know how Estonian society functions, what is unique to the culture and wish to develop your Estonian language skills up to intermediate level.
- if you are interested in Estonian literature, you have some knowledge of Estonian language and you wish to translate Estonian literature into your native language in the future.
Graduate career options
The graduates will have a balanced knowledge on Estonian language, culture, history and society and have acquired Estonian language at least at B1 level.
Such knowledge provides pre-requisites for working in ones home country or in Estonia in the fields of cultural, economic or business relations, as a diplomat, export culture or engage in any type of creative industry.
The graduates will have necessary skills to start translating Estonian literature into foreign languages.
- LIFE - Learning in Interdisciplinary Focused Environment
- Estonian Regional Studies
- Estonian Contemporary Culture
- Language and Society
- Estonian Politics and Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Non-EU/EEA applicants (except applicants from the United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan):15 March
- EU/EEA citizens and applicants from the United Kingdom, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan:1 June
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Tallinn University and/or in Estonia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Motivation letter and statement of research interests
- Student candidates who wish to specialise on translating Estonian literature should also upload a two page sample of a translation (from Estonian into their native language and the Estonian original)
International4800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4800 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4800 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tallinn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.