*This programme profile is financed by Dora Plus Action 4: Marketing of study and employment opportunities in Estonia (European Regional Development Fund).
The European Languages and Cultures master's programme trains students to be cultural mediators (translators, administrators, editors, etc.) by providing knowledge and skills in a modern or classical language and culture. You can choose one of the following specialities:
- Classical philology
- English language and literature
- French language and literature
- German language and literature
- Russian and Slavic philology
- Scandinavian languages and literature
- Spanish language and literature
Classes in the speciality module are taught in the respective language (except for Classical philology, which is taught in Estonian).
Why study European Languages and Cultures at the University of Tartu ?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the top 1.2% of the world's universities (300th position in the QS World University Rankings 2022).
- The University of Tartu is ranked in the top 250 universities in linguistics and English language and literature.
- Combine elective courses and practical training to build your career. For example, you can pick an elective module in translation studies, do your practical training in language editing and proofreading, or study international relations and do an internship in an international organisation.
- Using your proficiency in foreign languages and cultural competence, you can work as a specialist in state institutions, universities, companies, museums and publishing houses.
The graduates will be competitive candidates for careers in professions that require excellent proficiency in foreign languages and cultural competence in state institutions, universities and research institutions, IT companies, museums, publishing houses cultural exchange organisations in Estonia and abroad.
University of Tartu Institutional Accreditation 2015-2022: The Quality Assessment Council for Higher Education of the Estonian Quality Agency for Higher and Vocational Education decided to accredit the University of Tartu for seven years.
The next accreditation will be conducted in 2022.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The curriculum consists of 6 modules:
- speciality module (English language and literature, French language and literature, Spanish language and literature, Russian and Slavic philology, German language and literature, Scandinavian languages and literature, Classical philology) (39 ECTS)
- graduate school module (students choose between the linguistics and translation studies graduate school and history, literature and cultural research graduate school) (15 ECTS)
- electives module (12 ECTS)
- optional courses module (6 ECTS)
- practical training module (6 ECTS)
- MA thesis (42 ECTS) or MA project (42 ECTS) module
We welcome all students regardless of their previous educational background.
The programme director is Raili Marling, Professor of English at the University of Tartu.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 3 other Masters in Literature in Estonia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Tartu and/or in Estonia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (the degree must be obtained by the end of July)
- English language proficiency
- Proficiency in the respective language of the chosen speciality (will be assessed during entrance exams)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tartu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Tuition waivers are available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.