Subject of the research-oriented and consecutive British and North American Cultural Studies degree offered by the University of Freiburg are the theories and operational elements of cultural practices prevalent in the English-speaking cultures of Great Britain and North America, as well as the colonial and post-colonial areas dominated by these countries.
The British and North American Cultural Studies master’s course is a course whose topics contain transatlantic elements: The complementary and occasionally conflicting British and American schools of the Cultural Studies are shown in teaching. The master’s program is intended to enable students to critically reflect and integrate cultural phenomena and their own cultural position and involvement
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Cultural Studies
- British and Postcolonial Cultures
- North American Cultures
- Media and Culture
- Multilingualism and Language Politics
- Theories of Cultural Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies American Studies View 83 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application form
- A certified copy of your undergraduate diploma
- A certified copy of your transcript of records outlining the contents of your undergraduate degree
- Proof of successful completion of an English language examination
- Two letters of recommendation from academic teaching staff
- A statement of intent, in which the applicant states his or her reasons for seeking acceptance to the MA program
- A 2,500 word essay written in English on the subject of the applicant’s choice, which relates to one of the British and North American Cultural Studies modules. It can be an excerpt from a finished research project
- A chronological CV (résumé)
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
€161 registration fee per semester for all students
Living costs for Freiburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.