On this MSc Medical Biotechnology degree, you’ll develop practical and analytical skills in molecular biotechnology, including the exploration of online biological databases, therapeutics, bioinformatics and diagnostics.
You'll build practical laboratory skills used in academia and industry, and study in a challenging learning environment informed by professional practice, current research and advanced laboratory techniques.
Medical biotechnology is a rapidly expanding industry. With the UK being Europe’s leading biotech hub (McKinsey & Co) and Portsmouth ranked third of all post-1992 universities in the UK for research power, there’s no better time to take your previous studies to postgraduate level.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready for a successful career in research or industry in the biotechnology sector, or in the fields of bioscience or pharmaceutics.
- Unpack a practical and theoretical understanding of the molecular techniques used in the medical biotechnology sector
- Conduct independent medical biotechnology research in areas such as pathology, drug development, clinical trials, business and bioinformatics
- Access professional research equipment in the University's many laboratories, including the Biophysical and Pharmaceutics labs
- Learn from medical professionals and academics working in drug design, synthesis and diagnostics – with the opportunity to undertake a research project in a professional environment (previous project partners have included Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust and Sierra Medical)
- Have opportunities to build your business ideas through our Student start-up and Entrepreneurs in Residence
Careers and opportunities
Once you complete this MSc Medical Biotechnology degree, you’ll have a greater understanding of the medical applications used in biotechnology and in-depth laboratory experience.
You’ll be set to build your career within small and medium-sized enterprises and global business in the area of biotechnology – as well as public and private health service providers. You could also decide to start your own business, which we can support you with. Alternatively, you could proceed to a research degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Molecular Medicine
- Research Skills and Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Biotechnology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 167 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An upper second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Professional experience and other qualifications may be taken into consideration for applicants not meeting this requirement.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.