The Comparative Politics of Eurasia programme’s location in St. Petersburg, with its extraordinary cultural and historical heritage, will provide students with unique opportunities for diving into the Russian culture, understanding history, and acquiring the Russian language.
The National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) St. Petersburg Master's Programme in Comparative Politics of Eurasia responds to the growing strategic importance of the wider Eurasian region, including the former Soviet Union and the countries of East Asia, as well as the associated need for both national and international expertise in the comparative politics of this vital region.
The programme provides for a discipline based professional training in Comparative Politics complemented with an advanced, specialist understanding of the unique and challenging political and social environment of the Eurasian region.
The programme curriculum is developed around a core conceptual training in comparative political science and a comprehensive empirical training in contemporary methods of social science research. Alongside this core, the programme offers an exciting range of elective courses in two broad groups.
The first group, augmenting the core training in comparative political science covers: politics and society in contemporary Russia; the social and political transformations of Central Asia, China and Vietnam; and the political economy of post-communist development. A second, more multi-disciplinary grouping of courses includes those that cover: the international relations of Russia, Central Asia, China and Vietnam; Russia’s energy policies and dilemmas; and Russia’s geo-political standing in the context of the wider Arctic region.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methodology and Research Methods of Political Science
- Research Seminar "Eurasian Political Studies"
- National Identity, Social and Political Development in Asia
- Political Economy of Postcommunist Transformation
- Postcommunist Politics and Society
- Modern Political Science
- Cold War Encounters
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Nov 1-Aug 14: online applications may be submitted for preliminary selection; online (and in-person) candidate interviews will be held with programme teams
- Aug 14- Aug 28: submission of all supporting documents
- Aug 28: Deadline for signing agreements and enrollment forms
- Sept 1: Classes starting date depends on the choosen programme
- Dates apply to Moscow programmes only.
- Please note that some programmes begin on October 1.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Political Science View 5 other Masters in History in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
International prospective students applying for Master's programmes at HSE University can now get a jump start on the admissions process and get a sense of their chances of being accepted to HSE. There is no need to wait till summer or to come to Moscow.
- Master's programmes in nine faculties, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Communications, Media and Design, the Faculty of Computer Science, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, the Faculty of Business and Management, the Institute of Demography and the Banking Institute, will conduct a preliminary online assessment of portfolios and hold online interviews. This will be particularly useful for those who wish to receive direct feedback from the programmes.
- The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a preliminary interview and portfolio evaluation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4671 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
330 000 RUB
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.