From the start of this Math of Machine Learning programme from HSE University , students collaborate in thematic working groups and actively participate in research, learning from HSE and Skoltech scientists as well as leading global specialists in statistics, optimization and machine learning.
This programme stands at the crossroads of various disciplines of modern mathematics and computer science, including statistics, optimization, learning theory, information theory, complexity theory, as well as at the intersection of science and innovation in the field of modern information technology. Leading experts at HSE and Skoltech jointly provide instruction in this unique research-driven programme.
Students participate in one or more working groups (research seminars), where they determine focus areas for an initial survey report and then solve challenges at the intersection of cutting-edge research and technology in statistical learning theory. These seminars are built on teamwork, as the tasks undertaken are so complex that they can’t be solved by one person alone.
Students learn how to effectively collaborate, bringing together their diverse collective skills, competencies, and experiences to determine successful solutions for complicated issues.
The programme aims at preparing researchers in the most dynamic and high-demand fields related to mathematics and computer science. Graduates of the Master's programme may pursue a practical or research-oriented career, both of which are popular in one of the following areas:
- carrying out analysis in industry, consultancy, various types of associations and foundations, government agencies, banks, investment funds, etc.;
- expert activities related to methodological development, probabilistic modeling, statistical estimates, transport planning, optimization and forecasting tasks, as well as coming up with efficient methods, control technologies and data analysis in a variety of professional specializations;
- providing technical support for analytical and consulting groups engaged in machine learning, engineering design, financial analysis, modeling and optimization of transport networks;
- participating in management teams of analytical, research and administrative departments.
- Digital Image Processing
- Modern Methods of Data Analysis: Stochastic Calculus
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Modern Methods of Decision Making: Advanced Statistical Methods
- Machine Learning
- High-dimensional Statistical Methods
- Efficient Algorithms and Data Structures
- Digital Image Processing
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at HSE University and/or in Russia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Please note: you will need to apply to Skoltech separately!
Application dates and selection rounds for 2022-2023 academic year (Skoltech)
How to apply to Skoltech
Portfolio composition and requirements for applicants 2022-2023:
Application Portfolio 2022
Admission Committee may invite the applicant for an interview.
CAE (Certificate of Advanced English);
BEC Higher (Business English Certificate);
IELTS 6.0 and higher;
TOEFL IBT (Internet Based) 80 and higher (calculated from 0 to 120);
TOEFL ITP, including those provided by the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, 450 and higher (calculated from 370 to 677)
TOEFL PBT (Paper Based) 500 and higher (calculated from 310 to 677);
TOEFL СBT (Computer Based) 232 and higher;
CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) A / B / C;
International2267 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2267 EUR per year during 24 months.
- 200 000 – 400 000 RUB/year
Living costs for Moscow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE. Explore more information here: https://admissions.hse.ru/en/graduate-apply/financial-aid
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.