In the Master's Programme in Genetics and Molecular Biosciences from University of Helsinki , you will acquire knowledge and skills in modern genetics and molecular biosciences. You get a broad-based understanding of biological phenomena and of the molecules that have an effect on health, including their interactions and functions at the levels of cells, tissues and organisms. You can specialise according to your interests in Biochemistry and Structural Biology, Cell and Developmental Biology, Genetics and Genomics or Molecular Analytical Health Biosciences.
Upon completing the Master’s Programme in Genetics and Molecular Biosciences you will:
- have in-depth knowledge of genetics and molecular biosciences and of the experimental methods used in them.
- understand the characteristics and functions of genes and biomolecules at the cellular, tissue and organism levels.
- be able to analyse scientific knowledge critically and communicate it to different audiences.
- have the ability to produce new scientific information about the properties of genes, biomolecules and cells by means of experimental studies.
- be able to take advantage of existing research data and biological databases.
- have mastered good scientific practice and know-how to act accordingly.
- have the capacity for independent project management and problem-solving, as well as for maintaining and developing your own expertise.
- have the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multicultural communities.
Although many of the graduates of the programme continue to doctoral training (PhD), it also gives you qualifications for specialist jobs outside Academia. The Master of Science (MSc) is a generalist degree, giving you the ability to work in basic and applied research and to act as an expert in public administration, the private sector and biotechnology companies.
The professional titles of graduates in molecular biosciences include senior researcher, entrepreneur, forensic chemist, research and development chemist, product manager, senior officer, editor and teacher, so your future profession and employment can be as unique as you are.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biochemistry and Structural Biology
- Genetics and Genomics
- Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Molecular and Analytical Health Biosciences
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 10 other Masters in Biology in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.