The teaching within the study track at the University of Helsinki follows a high standard and is highly valued, not just within Finnish academia but in global university rankings.
Upon graduating from this Master’s programme, you will:
- Be an expert in the methods of mathematics or statistics
- Have mastered the basics of another scientific discipline
- Be able to apply scientific knowledge and methods
- Be able to follow developments in mathematics and statistics
- Know how to think critically, argue a point, and solve problems
- Have excellent interaction skills and be assertive and creative
- Understand the principles of ethical and sustainable development
- Be well prepared to work as an expert and developer in your field
- Be prepared for scientific postgraduate studies
Graduates of the Master’s programme can find employment outside the university or continue with one of the doctoral programmes in mathematics and statistics. The Master’s programme will give you excellent capabilities for work in the public or private sector as an expert in mathematics and statistics, skills that are very sought after in the job market both in Finland and abroad.
The banking, investment, and insurance fields, for instance, value mathematicians and statisticians very highly internationally. Many of our graduates work in research and development or as teachers in various educational institutions. Graduates from this programme have excellent chances to find employment corresponding to their education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Mathematics and Statistics Master's Programme has four study tracks:
- Applied mathematics
- Social statistics (it is not possible to apply to this study track anymore).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Statistics
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.