The MA/MFA Movement - Directing and Teaching program at Central:
- Is a specialist, vocational course for performance and movement practitioners
- Develops your expertise in movement teaching and movement directing of the actor
- Is taught by current professionals in their field of movement pedagogy, movement direction and movement research
Movement training at The Royal Central School of Speech and DramaTradition, experience, eclecticism and innovation epitomise Central’s understanding of movement training for the theatre and these unique courses have been created in that spirit. You will belong to the fine history of movement at Central from Litz Pisk to the present.
Who is the course suitable for?You may be an actor or dancer who wants to diversify your skills and knowledge, you may work with actors (a dance or movement teacher, or a theatre director with a movement history), or be a practitioner from an allied field of sport/holistic practice, wanting to enhance your understanding of practical/theoretical interfaces regarding movement in contemporary performance.
Opportunities on the course
You will be offered specialist, vocational teaching in the field of movement for actors, production practice for movement directors and bespoke movement placements at Central and in other professional theatre settings, such as other conservatoires or theatre, opera, or film organisations (both in Britain and internationally).You will have the opportunity for the development of your individual movement specialisms and apply them to the work of actors. The courses provide a rich and diverse landscape within which to address movement practices in relation to a wide range of established theatre processes and innovations in the field.
- theatre production
- classical theatre
- film acting
- contemporary and devised work
- movement specialists
- research into movement
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no formal closing date for direct applications to Central, but you are strongly advised to apply as early as possible.
Master of Fine Art in Movement: Directing and Teaching (MFA): 240 credits
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance Fine Arts View 86 other Masters in Fine Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You will normally have a degree or equivalent in a subject that includes an element of movement or dance. Graduates of other disciplines will be considered if they can provide evidence of previous training and experience in movement or dance. If you have a strong movement background and professional experience of working with movement for at least two years, you will be considered for non-standard entry.
- An offer will normally only be made after interview.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.