The MA program in Sociology and Social Anthropology at Central European University (CEU) aims to present students a wide range of theories and methods in sociology and social anthropology while examining their interaction and integration in the study of globalization and urban studies. The study of globalization and of urban studies is conceived in the department as both a material and a formal object.
The program has a strong research component, including one semester devoted to research for a thesis. It is recommended for those who wish to pursue a deeper research agenda with a marked interest in global and urban issues broadly understood.
The program consists of three semesters of coursework, one semester of fieldwork and one semester devoted to thesis writing and including a thesis writing workshop. Courses are generally in seminar format, including lectures and discussions, requiring active participation on the students' part.
During the academic year students can attend a variety of workshops, seminars as well as lectures presented by visiting faculty or guest lecturers.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Anthropology of Capitalism
- Anthropology of Ethnicity
- Art and Society
- Cityscapes: Ethnography and the Urban Experience
- Cognition and Culture
- Colonialism and Postcolonialism
- Contemporary Global Inequality in the Age of Globalization
- Digital Anthropology
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Key Issues in Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Key Issues in Sociological Theory
- Logic of Social Inquiry
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 16: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 10 other Masters in Sociology in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Writing sample
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.