The increasing demand for raw materials, their price volatility, the production concentration and the market distortions imposed by some countries, confront Europe and other world regions with a number of challenges along the entire value chain.
To tackle this supply risk challenge and to deal with environmental problems arising from too large emissions of waste (such as CO2), technological innovation is required with respect to exploration of new resources and sustainable primary mining, sustainable use of resources in specific products and production processes (e.g. substitution of critical metals in materials), prevention of waste generation, valorisation of secondary (alternative) resources and recovery/recycling of resources from end-of-life products.
The International Master of Science in Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management at Ghent University aims at educating a new range of professionals with a holistic overview on resource management and up-to-date processing technologies, who are familiar with sustainability concepts and possess an innovative mind-set to boost the economic importance of this sector.
Students will be acquainted with the different (technological) options for optimizing flows of natural resources in the different parts of the chain, ranging from resource exploration over sustainable materials use and use of resources in production processes to recovery/recycling of resources from end-of-life products. Students will get a broad view on the entire value chain in its different aspects.
- Circular Economy, Economics and Management of Natural Resources
- Clean Technology
- Environmental Inventory Techniques
- Rational Use of Materials
- Resource Recovery Technologies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesSustainable Development Natural Resource Management View 8 other Masters in Natural Resource Management in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be admitted to the SINReM programme, you need to:
- hold a Bachelor degree (equivalent to at 180 ECTS) in a discipline closely related to the SINReM scope (see above for examples);*
- have a strong background in science (equivalent to at least 15 ECTS in mathematics and/or physics and 10 ECTS in chemistry);*
- have completed your previous degree(s) with good or very good grades (typically top 30% of the students);
- submit a convincing motivation letter with your application, which shows that the SINReM scope matches your previous education and future goals;
- fulfil the English language requirements listed below.
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Gent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.