Biotechnology is the exploitation of living systems or molecules from them for commercial gain. Although the word 'biotechnology' is only a few decades old, humankind has been using biotechnology for millennia, for example in baking, brewing and sewage treatment.
Modern biotechnologies rely on our increasing ability to manipulate organisms at the genetic level and include novel waste treatments and bioremediations, new pharmaceuticals, the exploitation of enzymes in 'green catalysis' and exciting new diagnostic techniques.
In the 20th century our lives were transformed by information technology; the 21st century may see an equally great transformation, but this time led by biotechnology.
Molecular Biology And Biotechnology Highlights
The School of Biological Sciences was the first school of Biological Sciences in the UK to achieve a prestigious Athena SWAN Gold award.
World Class Facilities
The School is well equipped and carries out internationally competitive research in microbial, environmental and medical biotechnology.
Students of the Molecular Biology and Biotechnology degree at Queen's University Belfast will be offered selection of research project titles covering various aspects of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
Students will join a research laboratories and work full time in the real research environment for 3 month in summer. Students will be directly supervised by a member of research team.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Foundations for Research in the Biosciences
- Literature Review
- Nucleic Acid Structure and Function
- Protein Structure and Function
- Research Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Molecular Sciences View 349 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- Normally a 2.2 Honours degree or above in a relevant area of science or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University.
- Applicants with qualifications below 2.2 Honours degree standard (or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University) will be considered on a case-by-case basis, if they can demonstrate appropriate experience, acceptable to the School.
- The University's Recognition of Prior Learning Policy provides guidance on the assessment of experiential learning (RPEL).
International20800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6140 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6140 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.