The MSc Urban Planning programme at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University suits students from a range of different backgrounds and it is not limited to those with an urban planning undergraduate degree. Through the programme you will gain the interdisciplinary knowledge and skills required to become an urban planner, capable of tackling urban regeneration challenges in diverse contexts, and of providing a vision for future cities.
China is experiencing unprecedented urbanisation in terms of the speed and nature of growth. One of the key issues for future practitioners will be how to deal with the challenge of reusing, transforming and regenerating the existing urban fabrics of China’s megacities in order to achieve a more sustainable model of urbanisation.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers in a range of areas including urban planning, policy development, urban design, and property development. Graduates may also find employment with community groups as an advocate to give them a voice in built environment decision-making processes, or with local and central government, and non-governmental organisations both national and international.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory and Practice of Urban Regeneration
- Governance and Finance of Urban Regeneration
- Politics, Society and Participation
- Place-making and Urban Design
- Sustainable Urban Planning Strategies
- Heritage, Historic Districts and Conservation
- Spatial Analysis and Visualisation
- Fundamentals of Project Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- For Mainland China applicants: 30 July
- For international applicants and applicants from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan: 15 July
DisciplinesArchitecture Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 6 other Masters in Architecture in China
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- UK upper second class honours (2:1) or equivalent
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85 percent or above, depending on your undergraduate institution
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or
- 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8836 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13255 USD for the full programme and a duration of 18 months.
National8836 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13255 USD for the full programme and a duration of 18 months.
RMB 90,000 for the entire programme.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.