Bringing together instructors from across the university and from the city's vibrant arts and culture community, the MA in Cultural Studies at the University of Winnipeg provides students with strong methodological and theoretical training in order to pursue further postgraduate studies or careers in a range of fields, including education, publishing, arts management, art curation, and journalism.
Cultural Studies is an important site for the fostering of critical thinking about the social and political significance of cultural objects, forms, and processes. Studies in this field question dominant assumptions and engage with important cultural controversies, especially around questions of value and the distribution of power and authority.
Materialist and inter-art theories provide important lenses for work in the field and focus critical questions about the production, consumption, and distribution of texts. The study of theory facilitates an understanding of the dynamics between text and culture, individual and society, and generates insight into how social differences such as race, ethnicity, class, and gender shape and unsettle cultural production and consumption.
- Cultural Studies is an interdisciplinary field, drawing on theories and practices from a range of humanities and social sciences disciplines, that seeks to investigate the ways in which cultures produce and are produced.
- At the centre of Cultural Studies sits a host of questions, such as what constitutes a text, how some texts, visual images, and cultural artifacts come to be valued over others, and how questions of value relate to the distribution of power and authority.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Art History View 100 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The University of Winnipeg graduate programs offer a broad range of opportunities for graduate students with unique professional and educational objectives.
- Featuring a multi-discipline approach, the Faculty of Graduate Studies offers students a chance to expand their learning, be part of cutting edge research, and network with other top scholars.
International13999 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13999 CAD per year during 12 months.
National6799 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6799 CAD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Winnipeg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.