The Middle East Studies program from The American University in Cairo offers courses in Arabic language and literature, anthropology, economics, gender and women’s studies, history, law, political science and sociology with the purpose of introducing students to a variety of methodologies for studying the Middle East.
The graduate program focuses on the period from the 18th century onwards and addresses issues of religion, ecology, history, economy, society, polity, gender, and culture. Given the geographical location of Cairo, the program as a whole concentrates on the Arab region.
The program is intended for students who wish to pursue a variety of careers such as academia, diplomacy, other government service, work with NGOs, development, business, finance, journalism, public relations and cultural affairs.
More informationVisit official programme website
- A Critical Introduction to Middle East Studies
- Interdisciplinary Seminar in Middle East Studies
- Islamic Institutions
- Selected Topics in Middle Eastern History, 600-1800 AD
- International Trade 1000 - 1700: Egypt and the Mediterranean - Red Sea Trade
- Seminar on the Nineteenth-Century Middle East
- Seminar on the Twentieth-Century Middle East
- Economic Development in Middle East Countries
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 5 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Egypt
- The master’s degree program in Middle East Studies is an interdisciplinary degree program. Applicants for admission should have an undergraduate degree of high standing (GPA of 3.0 or higher). Prerequisites are often assigned depending on the individual student’s academic background.
- The program is designed to meet the needs of aspiring professionals who need in-depth knowledge of the modern Middle East as well as those intending to pursue an academic career.
International735 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 735 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National522 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 522 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.