The Geology programme of Eötvös Loránd University has an emphasis on practical courses related to mineral exploration, petroleum geology, hydrogeology and environmental geology. The specialization in petroleum geology and/or hydrogeology provides in-depth training for future specialists in these fields. The degree program prepares both for continuing studies after admission to a doctoral program and work as a geologist primarily in the petroleum industry, in hydrogeology, or in related jobs in the public sector.
Our graduates have a solid foundation of knowledge in the different core disciplines of geology sciences (mineralogy, petrology, geochemistry, and paleontology), complemented with advanced skills through specialized studies in selected areas. The field component includes a three-week geological mapping field school.
Strength of program
The Geology MSc program is taught by highly qualified faculty members of four departments (Physical and Applied Geology, Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry, and Paleontology). The Program Director is a member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, six professors hold the doctoral degree of the Academy, other teaching faculty members hold PhD degrees. Three research units, specialized in topics of geology and paleontology, are funded by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and hosted by the Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences.
The highly diverse research portfolio of our staff is focused on (but not restricted to) the geology of Hungary, the Pannonian Basin and the neighboring areas, its hydrocarbon and groundwater systems, mineral resources, as well as basic research in mineralogy, geochemistry, sedimentology, stratigraphy and paleontology. Results of this research are regularly published in leading international journals, and MSc student thesis projects are often integrated into these larger projects.
Our graduates are best trained to seek employment in the petroleum industry, with groundwater and geothermal companies, or in the public sector, including universities, geological surveys, and research institutions. Their broad-based geological knowledge will prepare them to work in teams together with geophysicists and other geoscientists. As all courses are offered in English, prospective employers include those located in the graduate’s home country as well as global, multinational companies.
- Petroleum exploration: Our graduates find project geologist positions in the G & G (Geology & Geophysics) sector of the upstream segment of oil companies.
- Hydrogeology: Our graduates find jobs in the industry to explore and manage groundwater resources.
- Natural resources administration: Our graduates can fill positions in national geological surveys and other government offices responsible for management of natural resources.
- Geoscience research: Our graduates can apply to PhD schools at research universities and continue their education towards successful careers in academic research in Earth sciences.
- Rock forming minerals
- Petrographic analysis
- Construction of geological maps and sections
- Geological mapping field school
- Geological mapping field school report
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should possess a BSc degree in Geology (or Earth Sciences)
- Online application form
- Bachelor-level degree
- Transcript of records
- Motivation letter
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of the main pages of the passport needs to be valid
- Copy of application fee transfer
- Language certificate
International8380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4190 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA8380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4190 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Budapest
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.