European Master in Lexicography (EMLex) from Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) is an international course of studies that
- promotes the international and interdisciplinary training of lexicographers (unique in Germany and Europe in its present structure)
- teaches lexicographical theories on a high international level
- includes a distinct connection to the practical application of dictionary creation
- brings together students from different European countries.
Post-graduates will be qualified to work both as lexicographers at a publishing company and as academic lexicographers in all fields of lexicography, starting from the conception of printed and electronic dictionaries and specific lexicographical tasks through to the technical realization of lexicographical products. Besides, they will receive profound training in the theoretical field of modern lexicography, which will enable them to conduct scientific research or to work in an advisory position in the field of publishing and further education.
Modeling and representing data in digital lexicography
Dictionary planning and production
Lexicography and lexicology
Dictionaries and translation
Special field lexicography and terminology
Research into dictionary use
History of lexicography
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular mandatory meetings
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 49 other Masters in Languages in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a first academic degree with a mark above average and a special entrance examination (cf. examination regulations).
- language requirements at least level B2.
- competence in linguistic analysis
- lexicographic/terminographic knowledge and experience
- application form
- motivation letter (2 pages max., in English or German). In the letter you should respond to the following aspects:
- certificate of HEI degree
- a transcript of academic records
- a copy of your identity document
International9000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2250 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA students - 28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
Living costs for Erlangen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.