Society is increasingly focusing on embedded and combined hardware and software solutions that are dynamic rather than static, which can grow and develop during their life cycle. Software is therefore rapidly becoming the main driving force for innovation and the future development in many different industries such as the automotive industry, the telecom industry, the defence industry and the software industry itself.
The current evolution is creating a growing importance of software in several areas of society. At the same time, the size and complexity of software is constantly increasing alongside the pressure of speedy supply in turbulent environments with rapidly changing demands. To meet these challenges and the demands of delivering reliable and high quality software, this programme offers a unique combination of advanced technical knowledge and required management skills.
Your studies will benefit greatly from the use of real industrial projects and collaboration with industry representatives from for example Ericsson, Volvo AB, Volvo IT, Volvo Cars, Saab and Astra Zeneca. In your future career you will be the team player with the important holistic software engineering perspective the industry demands for, able to handle technical and organizational challenges.
The Software Engineering and Technology programme at the Chalmers University of Technology combines a number of perspectives on software engineering, all of which promote the common goal of educating engineers who are skilled in designing quality software at low development and maintenance costs. Software Engineering is also a platform for future researchers who get qualified to perform advanced technological and methodological experiments in software engineering.
The programme focuses on three main competences in software engineering:
- Avanced technical knowledge and skills
- Advanced knowledge of methods and processes
- Advanced knowledge of industrial activities and practices
The combination of this knowledge is highly valued and in great demand in the software industry in order to support, innovates, and improve practices with new methods and tools.
Studying software engineering opens up a wide range of career opportunities within development, design, management, and research at manufacturing and engineering companies, consultant organizations, and supplier companies. Examples are:
- Software Developer: Design and implement the software modules of a system.
- Test Engineer: Design test cases and carry out system testing.
- Project Manager: Organize and lead software development projects.
- Software Architect: Design system architecture and make key technical decisions.
- Software Quality Manager: Select processes and check software quality.
- Doctoral Student/Scientist: Study and conduct research to obtain a PhD degree in software engineering.
In these roles, graduates contribute to the technological development of society, its well-being, and competitiveness.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Requirements engineering
- Software quality
- Empirical software engineering
- Project management
- Advanced software architecture
- Model-driven engineering
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 18 other Masters in Software Engineering in Sweden
- Bachelor´s degree (or the equivalent) with a Major in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics or Industrial Engineering and Management.
- Prerequisites: Programming (at least 7,5 credits), Algorithms and/or Data structures (at least 7,5 credits) and Basic software engineering or Software engineering project (at least 7,5 credits).
- Preferable course experience: Mathematical statistics, Discrete mathematics and Model driven software development.
English Language Proficiency
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
International14551 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14551 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 140 000 SEK/ academic year;
Scholarships are a great source of funding for Master's students who are liable to pay tuition fees. Chalmers University of Technology offers numerous scholarship opportunities. Some of these are administered by the university itself and others by external institutions.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.