Its goal is to prepare students for advanced practice in the critical analysis of social work. This stream in the Master of Social Work program, at the McMaster University, fosters in students new ways of understanding social work and its structuring, and possibilities for re-orienting their thinking and practice, in pursuit of a justice agenda.
- Specifically, the program supports students’ development of conceptual, theoretical and analytical skills in relation to social work practices and social policies; an appreciation of the entanglement of fact and value, of material and discursive framings of social problems and the conceptualization and implementation of responses to them; the ability to apply these skills and modes of understanding to substantive areas of interest and in their research practice; and the capacity to move from analysis of social work/social welfare issues or problems to consideration of the possibilities and limits of action and change in practices or policies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social Work Practice: Critical Frameworks
- Social Policy: Critical Frameworks
- Critical Approaches to Social Work Knowledge and Research Methods
- Changing Communities: Tensions and Possibilities for Citizenship and Social Justice
- Changing Social Service Organizations: Implications for Workers and Service Users
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 41 other Masters in Social Work in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application Form and Fee.
- Statement of Interest (applicant uploads pdf directly).
- Resumé (applicant uploads pdf directly. Please include work/practicum experience using template below).
- Referee Reports (referees complete online report directly using e-referencing system - due by January 4th at 11:59pm).
- Transcripts (applicant uploads unofficial transcript directly). Original transcripts must be sent directly from issuing institution*.
- English proficiency requirements, if applicable (applicant uploads unofficial copy directly). Original documents sent directly from issuing institution*.
International11396 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5698 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National4372 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2186 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.