Since 1964, the Department of Religious Studies, at the McMaster University, has offered graduate programmes dealing with religion and human religious experience, past and present, East and West.
The department has no confessional ties; it seeks, rather, to cultivate a positive appreciation of the world's religious traditions in a spirit of free, open enquiry, critical reflection, and solidly-grounded judgment. The department draws on a wide variety of methodological resources, especially philosophical, philloogical, literary, historical, and social scientific, in the effort to understand religion and religious phenomena.
Areas of Research
- Asian Field (Buddhism, East Asian)
- Biblical (Early Judaism, Early christianity)
- Western (Religion and Politics, Religion and the Social Sciences)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Biblical Hebrew
- Religious Themes in Modern Culture
- Great Books in Asian Religions
- Abraham in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- Introduction to Modern Standard Arabic
- Apocalypse, Then and Now
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 29 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The normal minimum requirement for admission to M.A. study is graduation with B+ standing in an Honours program or equivalent in Religious Studies, or in a related discipline with significant emphasis on the study of religion
- All incoming students should have completed the equivalent of six units (one full year course) of undergraduate work in Asian religions
- All incoming students should have completed the equivalent of six units (one full year course) of undergraduate work in Western religions
- A candidate for the M.A. degree will be required to spend at least one calendar year in full-time graduate study or the equivalent in part-time study
International11396 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5698 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National4204 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2102 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.