The philosophy of the Master of Music Therapy (MMT) program from Wilfrid Laurier University is music-centred psychotherapy. Clinical musicianship and psychotherapeutic techniques are developed through clinical, theoretical and experiential practices. The CIMTR can offer you training in the Helen Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music (minimum enrolment).
In our program, you’ll have the option of doing an original research study or clinical case study. You’ll also take experiential courses in the safe and effective use of self, required by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario.
The graduates have gone on to work in health care, education and private practice. Examples of jobs held by our graduates include:
- music therapist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Kensington Hospice
- music therapist, Grand River Hospital
- music therapy supervisor
- professional orchestral player
- music therapy community practice owner
- music therapy university professor and researcher
- Music Therapy (two-year program only)
- Clinical Improvisation II: Balancing Form and Freedom
- Music-Centered Psychotherapy Experiential Learning
- Case Studies in Music-Centered Psychotherapy
- Qualitative Research Methods
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed four-year (honours) undergraduate degree in Music Therapy (for our one-year program), or a completed degree in music or related field such as psychology (for our two-year program).
- A minimum B average in your final year of academic study.
- Evidence of advanced clinical experience (one-year program only).
- Piano performance abilities at a minimum Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) Grade 6 (if piano is not your primary instrument).
- Evidence of advanced musical qualifications, including ability to perform advanced repertoire (at a minimum RCM Grade 10 level)
- Ability to improvise on your primary instrument.
International16086 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8043 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National7696 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3848 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Tuition per term
Living costs for Waterloo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.