The Master Program is characterized by an interisciplinary program.
The graduates will acquire the basic competence in the fields of human and social sciences, a good command of information technology and of statistical techniques, indispensable for a real-world interpretation of tourism trends and of taste changes of the tourist population. The Master Program also provides legislative, historical and geographical knowledge useful for enhancing the values of the resources and the cultural heritage of a territory.
The Design of Sustainable Tourism Systems program from University of Florence deals with topics related with the sustainable management of natural, cultural and historical resources. The remarkable growth of tourism requires considerable planning activities by both the public and private sectors in order to maximise economic returns while containing the potential negative impacts on the environment.
The Master Degree in Design of Sustainable Tourism Systems provides interdisciplinary competencies that involve:
- measuring and monitoring the outcomes and impacts of tourism (i.e. Economic statistics for tourism, Statistical information systems for tourism, Social statistics for tourism, Demography and tourism);
- managing and developing activities related with: the natural and economic local resources (i.e., Agri-food economics, Sustainable tourism for local system development, Food quality and culture for tourism, Economics and management of agritourism); cultural resources, skills and competencies for tourism (i.e., Organization design and people management in the tourism industry, Economic history of tourism, Tourism and sport marketing, Event and sport management lab); law and contracts in tourism and travel activities (Travel and tourism contracts, Tourism and law, Financial markets and institutions)
- new tendencies and technology for environmental issues (New technologies and environment chemistry);
- foreign language different from English (Spanish, French, German).
- Economic history of tourism
- Travel and tourism contracts
- Sustainable tourism for local system development
- Demography and tourism
- Agri‐food economics
- Statistical information systems for tourism
- Economic statistics for tourism
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Sustainable Development Tourism & Leisure View 30 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Italy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
For both Italian and international students, the following curricular requirements have to be proved:
- having obtained the first-level degree in fields such as tourism management; geography; cultural heritage; modern languages; foreign languages and cultures; economics, and business administration; communication sciences; sociology; spatial, urban, and environmental sciences; sciences and technologies agro-food, Sciences and technologies for the environment and nature; political sciences and international relations; social sciences for cooperation, development, and peace; statistics; history;
- having acquired at least 6 credits in the economic, management, demographic or statistics fields;
- having at least a B2 level (or native foreign language) in English and another language, other than Italian;
- having acquired credits related to basic knowledge of data processing.
The total amount of enrolment charges and tuition fees for the academic year vary from €156 to about €2650.
Living costs for Florence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.