Students can draw on one or both of the fields of Applied Linguistics and Discourse Studies to suit their own study and research goals. This comprehensive Linguistics (Applied) and Discourse Studies MA program at Carleton University is unique in North America as these two fields are typically housed in different departments or faculties at other universities.
We also offer courses, including a practicum, that lead to Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Ontario certification.
Many graduates have accepted academic positions and/or continued their studies in education, literacy, rhetoric, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics and other fields at distinguished universities in Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Oman, South Korea, the UK, the USA and other countries. They teach in schools, colleges, universities and community programs all over the world. They also work as researchers, learning specialists, policy advisers and ESL instructors, and as writing coaches in government, educational institutions, corporations and non-profit organizations.
- Directions in Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Inquiry Strategies in Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Theoretical & Linguistic Descriptions of Language Use
- Theoretical Foundations for Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- Systemic-Functional Linguistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 59 other Masters in Linguistics in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BA honours degree in a discipline involving the analysis of language or the study of language use or learning, or a three-year BA degree in a relevant discipline combined with a BEd or CTESL.
- A minimum of B+ in related courses and a B overall in academic work are required. Relevant professional experience may also enhance a candidate’s application to the MA program.
International17317 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17317 CAD per year during 12 months.
National6615 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6615 CAD per year during 12 months.
- National: $6,515 (2nd year)
- International: $17,317 (2nd year)
Living costs for Ottawa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.