The Master’s degree program in Epidemiology at the University of Basel centers around teaching the basics of epidemiology and biostatistics, and the pursuit of an epidemiological research project.
Epidemiologists investigate the health of populations, study disease and possible risk factors, propose actions and then measure whether the situation has improved. They also study disease outbreaks, conduct disease surveillance, identify possible health risk factors and propose measures of disease screening. To this end, epidemiologists design field studies, collect and analyze data using a variety of methods, often in the frame of large teams. Multi-disciplinarity is often important, as is the ability to deal with societal and cultural factors.
Focal area of teaching and research
The main goals of the MSc course in epidemiology are the following:
- To understand the issues raised by health problems at individual and population level, and the standard methods and measures to describe them.
- To understand the key concepts in epidemiology and biostatistics, and their interrelationships.
- To have an in-depth understanding of the standard methods and study designs in epidemiologic research.
- To be able to plan and execute independently basic epidemiologic studies, to analyze and interpret them, and to report them orally and in writing.
- To be able to understand research questions and studies in the field of epidemiology, to place them in a wider public health concept, and to review them critically.
Holders of a Master of Science in Epidemiology have good possibilities to work in academia, for governmental health departments, for international organizations, for NGOs in Switzerland or elsewhere, or alternatively in the health industry, including drug companies. Work opportunities exist both in developing and in industrialized countries, working on both chronic and infectious diseases.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- The Master of Science degree is a postgraduate degree that requires a successfully completed Bachelor’s program. The program awards 120 ECTS credits in total. The Specialized Master’s degree program Epidemiology is a so called mono-course consisting of only one core subject. Supervised practical work over the course of one year constitutes the core of the studies. One ECTS credit point roughly equals 30 hours of study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMicrobiology Health Sciences View 8 other Masters in Health Sciences in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The following degrees of a Swiss University allow for direct admission to the Specialized Master's degree program Epidemiology: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biology, Human, Veterinary and Dental Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nursing Sciences, Life Sciences, Applied Biomedical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Forestry, Food Sciences, Sports Science, Biochemistry, Psychology, Economics, Sociology, Geography, Environmental Sciences; all Bachelor with a minimum average degree of 5.0 in the Swiss system and basic knowledge in a) Biology (min. 2 CP) and b) Mathematics or Biostatistics of at least 2 CP. Students with a BSc in a different branch will be assessed individually.
- For students with a relevant BSc degree but an insufficient mark, the student can alternatively pass the GRE® General Test in the area of «Quantitative Reasoning» provided the result is in the top 35 % (GRE = Graduate Record Examinations®). Other Swiss or foreign university degrees have to be approved by the respective teaching committee of the Faculty of Science
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 769 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 769 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.