Students enhance their expertise within a chosen design field, including visual communication design, industrial design, interior architecture and digital media design. They also broaden their skills and knowledge in design practice, 3D printing, interaction design, design management, computer-aided design and visualisation tools.
Students in the Design program by Swinburne University of Technology develop the professional capabilities and knowledge to become leaders in their field, as well as skills and strategies that enable them to be accomplished practitioners.
They may also undertake study in related areas, including business innovation, marketing and media. Students have the option to participate in study tours and projects with Design Factory Melbourne.
Graduates may find work in design consultancies, advertising, publishing, packaging, merchandising, design research and design management.
Aims and objectives
The Master of Design enables mastery in design and enhances the skills, knowledge and capabilities for professional practice and management in a broad range of design fields. Upon successful completion of the Master of Design, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate conceptual mastery and highly refined and detailed design outcomes and/or prototypes to professional standards.
- Investigate and critically evaluate current practices and trends in design as they relate to social, cultural, economic and environmental contexts.
- Conceptually and technically investigate, analyse, and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theory and apply them through independent research and project work.
- Use research principles and methods and communication skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and outcomes to a professional standard.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and evaluative judgement in planning, problem-solving and decision-making during design projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Inclusive and Participatory Design
- Integrative Design Studio
- Cross- Cultural Social Design Strategy
- Methods for Design Research
- Eco-Design Studio
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- Design Futures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign View 78 other Masters in Design in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code- 088128A
- The minimum entry requirement for the Masters of Design is a recognised three-year Bachelor of Design or equivalent, or the completion of the Graduate Certificate of Design or the Graduate Diploma of Design. Applicants who do not have a Bachelor of Design qualification but have a related qualification and work experience* in a design-related field, will be required to submit a portfolio demonstrating their cognate skills and capabilities in design.
- Related fields may include architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning, digital arts, creative arts, multimedia or digital media, product design engineering, design technology, games and interactivity, and creative industries.
International31200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31200 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25200 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.