The Environmental Toxicology course at the University of Duisburg-Essen consists of a more theoretical first study year and a more practical second study year.
The curriculum comprises nine modules, including a 16-week internship, and the six-month Master's Thesis as final module.
The nine modules of the curriculum cover three groups of knowledge and its application. In group "Fundamentals" students are introduced to the field of EnviTox (module "Aspects of environmental research"), they gain fundamental knowledge of the movement of substances in environmental compartments (Environmental Chemistry), obtain insight into important molecular biological sciences (Biochemistry and Bioinformatics) and learn how to monitor chemical substances in different matrices (Environmental analytics).
The group "Effects" treats effects of pollutants on different organisms. The module "Biological interaction" covers the role of microbes in drinking water supply and waste water treatment, explains how pollutants are taken up by plants and animals and how we can use population structures of different keygroups to monitor the ecological state of ecosystems. The module "Effects on biological functions" directly deals with the effects of xenobiotics and other pollutants on cells, plants and animals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biogeochemical cycles
- Geochemistry of soil and sediments
- Applied Analytical Chemistry
- Cellular toxicity
- Introduction to EU-environmental legislation
- Environmental Microbiology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A University degree (BSc, MSc, University Diploma (e.g. Universitätsdiplom), State Examination (e.g. Staatsexamen)) in Biology, Chemistry, Water Science or Environmental Sciences in the Natural Science domain
- a degree from a University of Professional Education (e.g. BSc, MSc, Diploma (Fachhochschuldiplom, HBO diploma) in one of the above mentioned study programmes.
- The Grade Average Point of the above mentioned degree should be at least 66.
- A practical bachelor thesis relevant for the field of Environmental Toxicology.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
All students are, however, subject to a student body and social contribution fee.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.