The program offered by Johannes Kepler University Linz expands on the curriculum of the joint Bachelor’s degree program in Biological Chemistry (JKU/USB). The curriculum is highly flexible, allowing students to pursue an interdisciplinary combination of subjects in chemistry, biochemistry, biology and biophysics as well as individual course selections.
Graduates of the Bachelor’s degree program in Technical Chemistry (JKU) – and other comparable undergraduate majors – can be admitted to the Master’s degree program after successfully completing bridging subjects in Biology.
The Master’s degree program is offered entirely in English and students are awarded two diplomas (MSc, Mgr.).
- Expertise in bioorganic chemistry, structural biology and chemistry, systems biology, etc.
- Proficiency in modern laboratory technologies
- Flexible, interdisciplinary academic degree program
- Engage in hands-on research for your thesis.
The scientific scope of the joint Master’s degree program in "Biological Chemistry" is broad and graduates are highly qualified to enter demanding professions in research, development, monitoring, and management at many different lines of business:
- White biotechnologies (bio-processes in production)
- Red biotechnologies (biomedical and medical technologies)
- Green biotechnologies (phyto-chemistry and biotechnologies)
- Chemical and pharmaceutical industries
- Foodstuffs, drinks and the cosmetics industry
- Medical diagnostic laboratories
- Private and public research facilities
- Bioanalysis and environmental analysis
- Regional, national, and international regulatory authorities and agencies
- Fundamentals of Chemistry and Technology for Biochemistry
- Advanced Biology and Biochemistry
- Complementary Subjects
- Electives in the area of Chemistry
- Electives in the area of Biology
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Chemistry Biochemistry View 6 other Masters in Biochemistry in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Johannes Kepler University Linz and/or in Austria, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Prospective students wishing to enroll in the Master's degree in Biological Chemistry at the JKU should hold a Bachelor's degree in Biological Chemistry (JKU), Technical Chemistry (JKU), Molecular Biology (JKU), or a degree equivalent in scope and content to the degree programs listed.
International726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 30 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 30 months.
€726.72 for third-country nationals
Living costs for Linz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.