Development Studies is a dynamic field concerned with processes of change in the South - social and economic, political and cultural - and the major policy challenges they present to efforts to overcome poverty and insecurity.
The Development Studies programme at SOAS University of London emphasis on transferable analytical skills has been of great benefit to the many graduates who have returned to, or taken up, professional careers in development in international organisations, government agencies and non-government organisations. Students also benefit from the wide range of modules on offer, both within the Department and across the School, allowing them to create individualised interdisciplinary programmes.
A postgraduate degree from the Department of Development Studies at SOAS will further develop your understanding of the world, other peoples’ ways of life and how society is organised, with an emphasis on transferable analytical skill.
These skills have been of great benefit to the many graduates who have taken up professional careers in development in international organisations, government agencies and non-government organisations.
This, in addition to your detailed subject knowledge, will also equip you with a set of other specific skills, including: critical skills; the ability to research extensively; a high level of cultural awareness; and the ability to solve problems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Agrarian Development, Food Policy and Rural Poverty
- Aid and Development
- Battlefields of Method: Approaches to International Development Research
- Borders and Development
- Cities and Development
- Civil society, social movements and the development process
- Development Practice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development Sustainable Development View 207 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- We understand that the coronavirus has had an impact on the ability of students from many regions to take the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic test, as test centres have been closed. We therefore will be accepting the Duolingo, the LanguageCert and the TOEFL IBT At Home online tests from all International and European applicants for the September 2020 intake.
International21750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21750 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA12720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12720 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- EU/UK: £6,360/year
- Overseas: £10,875/year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.