The focus of the American Studies programme at the University of Leipzig is on examining society, culture, history, literature and politics in the United States and their respective positioning in international and intercultural contexts. This examination occurs on the basis of an in-depth consideration of the interdisciplinary methodology and theory of American studies. The interdisciplinary nature of American studies is reflected in the structure of the modules.
The majority are defined thematically rather than methodologically, as is usually the case elsewhere, and deal with a particular complex of topics from different specialist perspectives. To this end, Leipzig’s Institute of American Studies cooperates with experts from the fields of political science, sociology, etc. One didactic focus of the master’s programme in American Studies is project work, whether in the research seminars of the specialisation modules or in the publication project of the programme’s own key qualification module (www.aspeers.com).
The aim is to train students’ skills in the independent development and implementation of projects and to promote their linguistic and cultural competence in transatlantic thematic fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comparative Societies: Culture and Religion
- Political Cultures in a Transatlantic Context
- Media and Society in a Transatlantic Context
- Difference and Literature
- Transatlantic Space
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAmerican Studies View 15 other Masters in American Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the programme requires an academic degree in American studies or from another course of study that feeds into American studies teaching and research.
- Knowledge of English at C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- This programme requires applicants to pass an aptitude test. More information is available on the institute website.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
You will receive a fee notice if you have to pay tuition fees.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.