The Master of Art Therapy offered by Western Sydney University is a form of individual, family and group psychotherapy in which people engage in visual art processes with a highly trained art therapy practitioner. This course emphasises the therapeutic and pedagogical value of fine arts practice and encourages learning through creative exploration, interpersonal communication and self-reflection.
When you graduate, you will be equipped with the therapeutic skills required to assist people in times of emotional distress. These skills can be highly effective for clients with a wide range of psychological, social and physical problems.
You will gain confidence through a balance of academic and experiential learning, with extensive opportunities to undergo clinical training through 750 supervised hours of field placement.
Our teaching team is composed of highly trained and experienced art therapists who work alongside allied clinicians, social scientists and researchers to offer you a well-rounded familiarity with the histories, theories and practices of art therapy.
Nationally and internationally, a Master of Art Therapy is the recognised qualification that entitles you to work as a professional in this field.
As an art therapy graduate, you can look forward to career opportunities in:
- Community organisations
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Art Therapy: Approaches and Applications
- Art Therapy: Histories, Theories, Groups
- Ethics and Diversity in Research and Therapy
- Theories of Difference and Diversity
- Further Clinical Studies (Art Therapy)
- Critical and Creative Enquiry
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPsychology Liberal Arts View 115 other Masters in Psychology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS: 013543F
- Hold a qualification as detailed below
- Submit a portfolio of work and CV
- Attend a group Interview on campus
- Have successfully completed an undergraduate degree, or higher, in visual arts, fine arts, art education, design, architecture or visual media (e.g. photography. film, video and/or television), or have majored in one of these areas
Details of required qualification
International28056 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28056 AUD per year during 24 months.
National22576 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22576 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.